Yes, you bet! The hybrid 2022 Ford Maverick can be flat towed.
However there are different models and there are a number of issues to consider before you can fully answer the question – can the 2022 Ford Maverick be flat towed?
So read on for more details!
What is flat towing?
Before we get into the specifics of the 2022 Ford Maverick let’s quickly review the towing methods and what flat towing is.
Flat towing is sometimes called four-wheel-down towing. It’s just what it sounds! The vehicle is put into a mode where the wheels can spin freely and the car is towed behind the towing vehicle with all four wheels making contact with the road.
It is perhaps most common with RVs where campers want to have a run-about vehicle available at the campsite. If you’ve ever wanted to pop out to the shops in a huge RV then you’ll know what we mean!
The two other options are towing with a dolly and trailer towing.
A tow dolly is like half a trailer. This was discussed more in our article on towing a Ford F-150 on a dolly. The car’s front wheels are driven onto the dolly and so only the rear wheels are in contact with the road. Note that not all vehicles can be towed on a dolly and there are definitely pros and cons to consider between flat towing and towing with a dolly.
Towing with a dolly is usually available for front-wheel drive cars and not rear-wheel drive cars. Ford does not recommend dolly towing with a AWD/4WD vehicle, but some people tow 4WD cars after putting the transfer case in neutral. This is a hotly debated topic, and we recommend you consult your manufacturer’s handbook.
The final option is simply loading the car onto a trailer. In this case all four wheels are off the ground. All cars can be trailer towed, but you clearly need to be careful about the load that is put onto the towing vehicle, and ensure you are within towing parameters.
Can the 2022 Ford Maverick be Flat Towed – The different models
Before we look at flat towing let’s review the different models of the 2022 Ford Maverick. It is critical you know what model you have before deciding whether, and how, you can flat tow.
There are basically two different engines.
- 2.5L hybrid version. This has a gasoline engine paired with an electric motor
- 2.0L Ecoboost version. This is fully gasoline
The 2022 Maverick is FWD as standard, but for the Ecoboost there is an AWD option available. This will become important to note in the next section.
Can the new Ford Maverick be flat towed?
Ford’s advice is that the Hybrid 2022 Maverick model can be flat towed, but the Ecoboost model cannot be flat towed.
However there are some more details to know:
- FWD Ecoboost gasoline model. Ford warns that flat towing the FWD Ecoboost model will result in transmission damage. [See our glossary for an explanation of some of these terms]. However the FWD model can be towed on a dolly.
- AWD Ecoboost gasoline model. Ford warns that flat towing the AWD Ecoboost model will result in transmission damage. They also do not recommend towing the AWD model with a tow dolly. The only remaining option is to tow with all four wheels off the ground on a trailer.
How to flat tow the 2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid model
Some steps need to be taken before flat towing the 2022 Ford Maverick. The key thing is to place the hybrid in Neutral Tow mode. This is not the same as simply putting the car in neutral. You must follow the steps laid our in the owner’s manual. But the steps required will broadly follow;
- Switch the vehicle on in accessory mode
- Press Menu > Settings > Neutral Tow mode
- Follow the instructions on the information display
- Fully press the brake pedal and shift into neutral
- Switch the ignition off
Want to be kept up-to-date on developments on this site? Use the signup for occasional emails. We hate spam and your email is safe with us!
Warnings when flat towing the 2022 Ford Maverick hybrid
There are a few key things to remember when flat towing your hybird Maverick.
- Vehicle must be facing forward and being towed forward
- Make sure the parking brake is released
- Do not exceed 70 mph
- Put climate control on recirculated air to ensure that the car is not filling up with exhaust fumes from your towing vehicle
- The vehicle needs battery power
- Given the vehicle is a hybrid and so dependent on the battery Ford recommends that while flat towing the engine should be started every day and run for a few minutes and then every six hours or less
Can the 2022 Ford Maverick be towed in an emergency?
From our analysis above the hybrid Maverick can be flat towed, and therefore can be towed in an emergency. Note that the steps described above to put the vehicle in Neutral Towing mode should be completed prior to being towed.
The Ecoboost gasoline models can be flat towed in an emergency if a dolly or a transport trailer option is not available. However Ford recommends that speed does not exceed 35 mph and the distance towed does not exceed 50 mi.
Can the 2022 Ford Maverick be towed on a dolly?
Ford recommends that only the FWD versions can be towed on a dolly. So this means that all the Hybrid models, and those Ecoboost models that are FWD can be towed on a dolly.
Frequently asked questions
Can the 2022 Ford Maverick be towed behind an RV? Yes, if it is the Hybrid model. See above for the full details.
Can you flat tow a 2022 Ford Maverick? Yes, if it is the Hybrid model. See above for the full details.
Is the new Ford Maverick flat towable? Yes, if is the Hybrid model. See above for the full details.
There is a lot of jargon out there, so let’s break it down!
- Differential. When your car goes around a corner the wheels on the outside of the curve travel further than those on the inside of the curve. It’s just geometry! This is why it’s not generally desirable to have wheels that are connected by a rigid axle (like in a Hot Wheels model car). A differential allows the wheels on the same axle to turn at different rates. This also helps distribute power from the engine to the wheels.
- Transfer Case. The transfer case is required on 4×4 or AWD vehicles. It distributes engine power to both the rear and front axles. The differentials then distribute power from the axle to the wheels. The transfer case can be thought of as a differential between the front and rear axles. It helps ensure both front and rear wheels are turning at the same speeds and synchronized. This is not necessarily a given, since different gearing ratios, or different tire sizes can cause unequal speeds to develop. Many transfer cases allow the driver to switch between 4WD and 2WD modes.
- Transmission. The transmission connects the engine to the axle(s) and ultimately the wheels. It’s the connection that provides power to the wheels. It contains the gearbox and helps regulate the power that is being delivered to the wheels. When you are standing idle in your car at the traffic lights the transmission disconnects the engine from the wheels so the engine can continue without delivering power to the wheels. Transmissions are generally either manual or automatic, depending on whether the driver is operating the clutch to change gears. n
For your model of 2022 Ford Maverick you can use the above information above to find out whether it can be flat towed. We also provide instructions on how this can be done. Note that we don’t discuss whether your towing vehicle is capable of towing the Ford Maverick and you can use our towing calculator to help you determine that.
If you have remaining questions please contact us.
Please refer to the disclaimer for important notes and limitations on this article